The City’s Combined Sewage Storage Tunnel (CSST) project team recently provided an update on upcoming construction activities in New Edinburgh. Residents of New Edinburgh will be receiving a copy of this update by mail.
Here is an overview of the information provided:
The CSST will consist of two inter-connected tunnels over six kilometres in total length. Advanced works at Site 5 – in Stanley Park and at Queen Victoria/River Lane – have been ongoing since the spring of 2017. The overall CSST construction will continue at various sites throughout the City through 2019, with the CSST becoming operational in 2020.
Sites 5A and 5B – Stanley Park
In the main construction site within Stanley Park (Site 5A), work is well underway to construct a main chamber/shaft where the TBM will be launched.
Underground work associated with tunneling operations is expected to begin at Site 5A, in Stanley Park, the week of January 22, 2018. This work will commence with the excavation of a 40 metre “tail” and a 35 metre “starter” tunnel at the bottom of the shaft (within which the TBM will later be assembled), and may continue 24 hours a day, 6 days a week. A Noise By-law Exemption is in place for this work with a maximum permitted limit of 65 decibels. Noise and vibration monitoring continues, and trucking, loading, and deliveries remain restricted to between 7 a.m. and 10 p.m.
Excavation of the East-West Tunnel is expected to begin in mid-2018.
Also in the park:
- A second shaft (Site 5B) has been dug closer to the construction access, and excavation of a third Interceptor Outfall Sewer shaft continues.
- "Microtunneling" – drilling horizontally to connect shafts 5A and 5B with a small tunnel – began in December, with initial drilling of a pilot hole now complete. The remainder of this microtunnelling work is expected to take place from February to April 2018.
- Interior and exterior finishing of the new Odour Control Facility is well underway and is expected to be completed this summer.
Site 5C – Queen Victoria and River Lane
A noise barrier and geotechnical monitoring equipment were installed at site 5C over the fall and winter. Construction resumed in December 2017, with shoring work and excavation currently underway. Microtunneling to connect shafts 5C and 5B is expected to take place from April to July 2018.
Construction at Site 5C is expected to continue through 2018, with reinstatement in 2019.
Stay in Touch
The CSST Project Team has committed to sharing information that can help you plan around construction in your neighbourhood. To receive their regularly distributed e-newsletter with updates on construction activities, impacts, and progress, sign up at www.ottawa.ca/esubscriptions.
For further information about this work:
- visit Ottawa.ca/csst
- email the CSST team at CSST@ottawa.ca
- call the CSST team at (613) 580-2424 ext. 2CSST (22778)
- View the most up-to-date project schedule here
For urgent matters outside of normal business hours on weekdays, or on weekends, please call 311.